The Northridge Earthquake on January 17, 1994, an earthquake measuring 6.7 on Rector Scale hit Los Angeles. The city came to a grinding halt with structures got destroyed by the earthquake. After the Northridge Meadows collapsed and killed 60 of its residents, it was realized that soft-story structures need to be rectified so that such an incident can be minimized.
There are a huge number of structures that have a soft story element. They all need to conform to the Los Angeles Earthquake Retrofit Program. It isn’t difficult to understand.
What is a soft-story building?
A soft story building is that building that has three or more stories located over the ground level and windows, large doors, commercial spaces and other openings in the place where there should be a shear wall to provide support to the upper floors.
The structure that has rooms above the carport, open areas, or garage, are soft-story buildings. The transmission of shear or lateral forces between the stories above and the earth cannot be done without the missing shear wall. They are wrongly designed. So, these buildings are prone to structural damage if an earthquake happens. The beams surrounding the parking areas are not usually that strong to support the entire building during an earthquake.
In 2015, an ordinance was passed in Los Angeles, Ordinance 183893 and Ordinance 184081. A list was compiled by the department of public safety that needs seismic retrofit and the Los Angeles Earthquake Retrofit Program that the whole process should end by 2022. There are 13,500 buildings in that list.
What We Offer
RetroFItting360, Inc, is a Los Angeles based leading retrofitting contractor that offers:
- Site evaluation at free of cost. An expert from our company will visit and inspect your property. They will analyze and assess the conditions and will then outline all necessary information as well as how to deal with the Ordinance. After the evaluation has taken place, you will be given a proposal with an estimated cost for construction and engineering.
- If your building is affected, we are ready right now to start the process.
- Options of the most effective and ordinance complaint retrofit for your building and we will ensure that minimum impact happens to your existing structure.
- The expert designers will ensure that the drawings are perfect so that the construction can be started at the earliest.
- We will give you the most cost-effective solutions. We have expert civil, architectural and structural staffs to take care of everything.
- We ensure you that we will turn your experience with us into an easy, quick and painless affair.